I love grits. Here’s a recipe for creamy, full of flavor, vegan grits.
1 cup of water
1 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup of unflavored almond milk
1 cup of quick cooking grits
1/4 cup cilantro
1 small shallot
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon earth balance
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup of cashew paste (see recipe below)
For Cashew Paste
1/2 cup salted cashews
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
*Soak cashews in water for 1 hour
*Blend cashews with 1 cup fresh water and pepper
*Dice shallot into small pieces
*Dice half of jalapeno into small piece, leave other half whole
*Saute shallot on medium heat in one olive oil until soft
*Add water and 1 cup of vegetable broth to pan
*Reduce heat to low
*Add jalapeno and steep for ten minutes
*Add 1 cup of almond milk, earth balance
*Raise heat to high
*Bring cooking liquid to boil
*Quickly stir in grits (stir in the same direction for good luck)
*Reduce heat to medium low, cover, cook 5 minutes (stir twice)
*Add remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, 1/2 cup of almond milk, and cashew paste
*Add cilantro, salt/pepper to taste
*Let stand 2 minutes
1. Don’t sleep on these grits. They are really delicious.
2. The cashew paste makes the grits really creamy and delicious. You will not miss milk or cheese. I promise! Usually cashew paste is made with raw cashews that are soaked over night. I didn’t prepare for all that, so I just used salted cashews (which I had in the pantry) and soaked them for an hour. That worked just fine.
3. Adjust the cooking liquid measurements depending on your preferred consistency of grits.
4. Stir the grits in the same direction for good luck!
5. Whoever gets the jalapeno half in their portion will have good luck!
Delicious recipe. The cashew paste is a twist.